Extra Help is for Medicare recipients with limited income and resources. Some people qualify for full Extra Help, and some qualify for partial Extra Help, depending on income. Extra Help pays all or most of prescription drug plan monthly premiums and annual deductibles, and lowers the prescription drug copayments.
If you have Medicare, you can qualify for Extra Help if:
- you meet the Extra Help resource and income limits. See Extra Help Income and Resource Limits on the Social Security web site for current limits.
- you have MassHealth Standard (dual eligible), Medicare Buy-In (QMB, SLMB, or QI), or SSI. Medicare recipients in these categories automatically qualify for full Extra Help and do not have to file an application.
- call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Social Security can answer your questions, send you an application, or take your application over the phone.
- see Understanding The Extra Help With Your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan on the Social Security web site, for income and resource limits, how to apply, tips on completing the application, and additional information.
- go to Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs to apply online on the Social Security web site.