Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wheelchair Ramps

Wheelchair ramps

Massachusetts residents with disabilities who need a wheelchair ramp to make their homes accessible may be able to get help from a community handicap ramp program. Volunteers from the construction industry and other groups donate their time and materials to build the ramps. Homeowners do not have to pay anything.

Homebound residents who need a wheelchair ramp must apply for the programs and meet income limits and other requirements.

Wheelchair ramp programs in Massachusetts include:
  • Handicap Ramp Program

    The Handicap Ramp Program is a community service partnership between Worcester local labor unions (Worcester Firefighters "Ramp Gang" and Carpenters Local 107), and the United Way of Central Massachusetts. The program serves homebound residents of Worcester and other Central Massachusetts communities.
    To apply, call the AFL/CIO Community Services Handicap Ramp Program at 508-757-5632.
  • EMNARI Wheelchair Ramp Building

    The EMNARI Ramp program is a charitable project of the Eastern Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. The Chapter usually builds one ramp per year, for a needy family in Eastern Massachusetts.
    To apply, call EMNARI at 508-839-9884.
  • Stavros 'Home Sweet Home' Wheelchair Ramp Program

    Home Sweet Home is a program of the Stavros Center for Independent Living, with offices in Amherst, Greenfield, and Springfield, MA. The program uses donated materials and funds, volunteer workers, and local vocational technical school assistance to build modular wheelchair ramps. The modular ramps are then installed at selected homes. The ramps are built using The Home Wheelchair Ramp Project guidelines (also see Wheelchair Ramp Manual: Design and Construction), and can be installed year-round.
    In 2011-2012, Home Sweet Home installed 54 wheelchair ramps. To apply, call the Stavros Center at 800-804-1899, ext. 240. For more information, see Home Sweet Home on the Stavros Center web site.
If you cannot get a free wheelchair ramp, you may be able to get a loan to pay for the ramp.
  • Home Modification Loan Program (HMLP)

    The Home Modification Loan Program gives loans to elders and people with disabilities to modify their homes so they can live independently.
    Depending on your income, you may be eligible for a deferred payment loan that does not have to be repaid until you sell your house, or an amortized low interest loan. For income guidelines, see HMLP: Who Is Eligible? on the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) web site.
    You can get an application and instructions on the MRC web site HMLP: How Do I Apply? For more information, see Home Modification Loan Program.

Medicare Appeals

Medicare Appeals

If you disagree with a decision made by Medicare, you have the right to appeal.  All steps in the appeal process have specific time frames and other requirements.  It is very important to pay attention to the time limits for appeals!

Some appealable situations are:
·         Medicare denies your request for a health care service, supply, or prescription
·         Medicare denies payment for health care that you  have already received
·         Medicare stops covering services that you are receiving
·         Medicare pays a different amount than you believe it should

For assistance with appeals, the Medicare Advocacy Project (MAP) provides free advice and legal representation.  MAP can assist anyone with Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage Plan, regardless of income.  For assistance from MAP, call the Massachusetts Senior Legal Helpline at 866-778-0939.

Trained SHINE counselors offer free, confidential counseling on all aspects of Medicare.  For more information, meet with a SHINE counselor. To make an appointment with the SHINE counselor here, please contact Sheila at 978-531-2254 ext. 118. You may also call the Regional SHINE office at Mystic Valley Elder Services at 781-388-4845.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

TRIAD: Suggested Emergency Information for Grab & Go Bag

TRIAD: Suggested Emergency Bag Contents Checklist

TRIAD has put together a list of suggested items to include in a Grab & G0 bag in the event of emergency evacuation. When you have filled your bag, it is best to hang it by your exit door, high enough so that it is not accessible to small children.

A metal wreath holder that hooks over the top of the door is a good way to keep the bag handy.

Medical information and emergency contacts would also be helpful since you may be out of your home for several days.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Please Safely Dispose of Unused Medications at the Peabody Police Station 24/7

Residents Can Safely Dispose of Drugs, Needles at Police Station

The Police Station now has two drop boxes for the safe disposal of old prescription medications and needles and syringes. Residents can stop in anytime and drop them off, no questions asked.