Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wheelchair Ramps

Wheelchair ramps

Massachusetts residents with disabilities who need a wheelchair ramp to make their homes accessible may be able to get help from a community handicap ramp program. Volunteers from the construction industry and other groups donate their time and materials to build the ramps. Homeowners do not have to pay anything.

Homebound residents who need a wheelchair ramp must apply for the programs and meet income limits and other requirements.

Wheelchair ramp programs in Massachusetts include:
  • Handicap Ramp Program

    The Handicap Ramp Program is a community service partnership between Worcester local labor unions (Worcester Firefighters "Ramp Gang" and Carpenters Local 107), and the United Way of Central Massachusetts. The program serves homebound residents of Worcester and other Central Massachusetts communities.
    To apply, call the AFL/CIO Community Services Handicap Ramp Program at 508-757-5632.
  • EMNARI Wheelchair Ramp Building

    The EMNARI Ramp program is a charitable project of the Eastern Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. The Chapter usually builds one ramp per year, for a needy family in Eastern Massachusetts.
    To apply, call EMNARI at 508-839-9884.
  • Stavros 'Home Sweet Home' Wheelchair Ramp Program

    Home Sweet Home is a program of the Stavros Center for Independent Living, with offices in Amherst, Greenfield, and Springfield, MA. The program uses donated materials and funds, volunteer workers, and local vocational technical school assistance to build modular wheelchair ramps. The modular ramps are then installed at selected homes. The ramps are built using The Home Wheelchair Ramp Project guidelines (also see Wheelchair Ramp Manual: Design and Construction), and can be installed year-round.
    In 2011-2012, Home Sweet Home installed 54 wheelchair ramps. To apply, call the Stavros Center at 800-804-1899, ext. 240. For more information, see Home Sweet Home on the Stavros Center web site.
If you cannot get a free wheelchair ramp, you may be able to get a loan to pay for the ramp.
  • Home Modification Loan Program (HMLP)

    The Home Modification Loan Program gives loans to elders and people with disabilities to modify their homes so they can live independently.
    Depending on your income, you may be eligible for a deferred payment loan that does not have to be repaid until you sell your house, or an amortized low interest loan. For income guidelines, see HMLP: Who Is Eligible? on the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) web site.
    You can get an application and instructions on the MRC web site HMLP: How Do I Apply? For more information, see Home Modification Loan Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment